The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of Assam Medical College was started in the year 1949 in the post independence era taking Professor R. G. Krishnan and Dr. U.C. Bordoloi as Assistant Professor. The department achieved this enviable fulfledged state of PG department under the able leadership and untiring efforts of different HOD's specially mentionable among them is Professof R.K. Borkotoky who thorned the chair of the HOD for thirty long year. It is currently under the leadership of Professor and Head Dr. Ramesh Sonowal who has a constant desire to make the department a premier centre of patient care, research and education in the country.
Over the years the department has grown gradually from its primitive state to the present state of one of leading centres of Eastern India in the field of research and training of young doctors.
Every year students from across the country come here for undergraduate as well as post graduate training. The department is actively involved in implementing the state as well as Central government health schemes besides imparting health education to Medical Officers and paramedical staffs of the region and neighbouring states.
1. Significance of Lactate Dehydrogenase and Aspartate Transaminase as biochemical marker and as predictors of severity of pregnancy induced hypertension and its complications.
*Journal of evidence based medicine & health care, Vol.4/issue 20/ March 09, 2017
2. Aspartate Transminase – is it useful as a biochemical marker and as a predictor of pregnancy- induced hypertension and its complication.
* JEBMH. Vol.3/ issue 33/ April 25, 2016
3. Comparative study of Hysterossalpingography and sonohysterosalpingography in the evalution of fallopian tube patency in routine infertility assessment.
*International Journal of Recent Trends in science and Technology, October 2015, 16(3) : 494-498
1. Paul D, Gogoi G, Baruah R. Assessment of the availability of infrastructure, manpower, materials and knowledge of health care providers regarding child health care services in the sub centers of a block of Dibrugarh district, Assam. International journal of community medicine and public health, 2019 May, 6(5); 2264-2269
2. Gogoi G. The Chikungunya Re-emergence. Assam Journal of Internal Medicine July 2018; vol 8, issue 2: 5-7
3. Chetia D, Gogoi G, Baruah R. Hypertension and occupational stress among high school teachers of Dibrugarh district. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health. January 2018; vol 5, issue 1: 206-209
4. Kotoky MJ, Gogoi G. Prevalence of depression in PLHA attending ART center of Assam Medical College and Hospital, Dibrugarh. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health January 2018; vol 5, issue 1: 1-4
1. Study of Bacterial Vaginosis in relation to Preterm Labour
* New India Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol-2, issue-2, Jan-June 2016,93-97
2. Fetomaternal Outcome in Maternal Periodontal Dissease
* Scholars Journal of Applied Medical science (SJAMS), September 2016, 4(9c) : 3364-3367
3. Comparative Study between Intravenous Paracetamol and Intramuscular Tramadol as Labour Anagesic
* International Journal of Science and research (IJSR), ISSN (online): 2319-7064, Vol-5 Issue-10, October 2016.
4. Effictiveness and safety of Intravenous Iron Sucrose therapy in Moderately Anaemic Pregnant Women in Third Trimester.
* International Journal of Science and research (IJSR), ISSN (online): 2319-7064, Vol-5 Issue-11, November 2016
5. Study of Thyroid Profile in relation to Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.
* Scholars Journal of Applied Medical science (SJAMS), 2015; 3 (7D): 2688-2692
1. Borah M, Baruah J, Baruah R, Boruah M. Prevalence and factors affecting early initiation of breastfeeding in rural areas of Dibrugarh district, Assam. Int J Community Med Public Health 2019;6:2176-81
2. Baruah J, Kusre G, Hazarika S. Profile of stillbirths in a referral hospital from Northeast India- A record based study.J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2017;6(21):1683-1686, DOI: 10.14260
3. Kusre G, Baruah J. Missing stillbirth data: a hospital based study. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2016 Oct;3(10):2949-2952
1. Adnexal Mass: A Clinicopathological Study At A Tertiary Care Centre In Assam, India. *DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770. Ijcmph 20191199 International Journal Of Reproduction Contraception, Obstetrics And Gynaecology, (March, 2019).
2. A Study Of Abnormal Semen Parameters In Infertile Couple In Assam, India.
* International Journal Of Reproduction Contraception, Obstetrics And Gynaecology, (February, 2019).
3.Pesticides, insecticides and male infertility
* International Journal Of Reproduction Contraception, Obst And Gynae. (July, 2017).
4. Maternal Mortality At A Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital In Dibrugarh District, Assam: A Retrospective Study. DOI: http:// dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20173842
* International Journal Of Community Medicine And Public Health, (March, 2017).
5. Outcomes Of Neonates In Pregnancies With Intrauterine Growth Restrictions In Developing Countries: A Cross-Sectional Study Over A Period Of 6 Month.
* Gynaecology & Obstetrics.(January, 2017).
1. A Comparative Study of Intra- Cervical Foley's Catheter PGE2 Gel Foe Per-Induction Cervical Ripening.
2. A Comparative Study Of Efficacy Of Oxytocin, Methylergometrine And Misoprostol In Prevention Of Post-Partum Haemorrhage.
3. A Comparative Study Of The Effects Of Programmed Labour Protocol And Expectant Management Of Labour.
4. A Comparative Study Of Maternal And Fetal Outcomes Following Induction Of Labour Versus Expectant Management In Mildgestational Hypertension At Term.
* DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/ 2320-1770. ijrcog20191938
5.Oral Nifedipine Verus Intravenous Labetalol For Acute Blood Pressure Control In Hypertensive Emergencies Of Pregnancy: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
* DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/ 2320-1770. ijrcog20191943
1. CA Cervix metastasizing to the abdominal wall- A rare case report Vikas Devkare, Neeraj Bisht, Milon Taye, N.S. Neki International Journal of current research in Medical Sciences (IJCRMS)ISSN: 2454-5716P-ISJN: A4372-3064, E- ISJN: A4372-3061Volume – 3 ISSUE- 6 (June- 2017)
2. Open vursus closed laparoscopy: yet an unresolve controversy.
*JCDR, 10(2), QC04, 2016
3. Retrospective Evaluation Of Causes And Social Correlates Of Maternal Deaths At Assam Medical College And Hospital, Dibrugarh, Assam, India.
* JEMDS, Date: 16.01.2016
1. Maternal and Perinatal Outcome of Eclamptic Patients In A Tertiary Care Hospital In Assam.
Vol: VI, issue VIII, August 2016 IJAR, Print ISSN No:2249-555X
2. Clinocopathological Evaluation Of Abnormal Utrine Bleeding In Perimanoparenal Women.
* IJRCOG, ISSN: 2320-1770
i) Maternal and perinatal Health Research Collaboration, India (MaatHRI): methodology for establishing a hospital based research platform in a low and middle income country setting.
*Nair M, Zahir F, et al, F1000Research2020,9:683, Published 7th July, 2020 https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.24923.1
ii) Unsafe abortion and abortion related deaths among 1.8 million women in India.
*Yokoe R, Zahir F, et al BMJ Glob Health 2019, 4:e001491.doi:10.1136/bmjg-2019-001491
iii) Maternal Antenatal profile in VLBW & ELBW babies
*Day P, Zahir F, Tha RK, et al. JEMDS 2019;8(15)1237-1239, DOI:10.14260/jemds/2019/274
iv) A Comparative Study Of Serum Lipid Profile In Pregnant Women With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus And Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
*Journal Evolution Med. Dental Science Eissn-2278-4802, Pissn-2278-4748/Vol-6/ Issue 24/ May 23,2017
1. International journal publication of our research topic “A study of effect of intrapartum amniotic infusion in meconium stained liquor on perinatal outcome” in international journal in recent trends in science and technology in (Kalyan Kumar Nath1*, Farzana Zahir 2, Pranay Nath) ISSN: 2277-2812 EISSN: 2249-8109 Volume 16, Issue 3 - October 2015
2. International journal publication of our research topic A clinical study of feto tocolytic agent nifedipine Isoxsuprine ydrochloride in preterm labour Farzana Zahir1*, Kalyan Kumar Nath2, H H Choudhury3 Volume 2, Issue 9 - September 2015 Med pulse, international medical journal.
1. Laparoscopic Evaluation Of Chronic Pelvic Pain In Women: Its Present Role And Advantage Over Other Diagnostic Procedures.
*Surajeet Boruah*Pranay Phukan2016 Month : February Volume : 5 Issue : 13 Page : 560-563 Evolution. Med. Dent. Sci/eISSN-2278-4802, pISSN-2278-4748/Vol.5/Issue13/ (Feb, 2016)