History of Plastic Surgery Department of Assam Medical College & Hospital Dibrugarh
The present Department of Plastic Surgery is one of the oldest superspecialty setup of north east India being established in 1963 as a small unit in the Department of General Surgery with the creation of a post of Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery (vide HLB.72/62/14 Dtd 20.04.1967) for Dr. Bimal Kr. Ghosh MBBS F.R.C.S (Plastic Surgery), Who was working earlier as Resident Surgeon in the post created vide HLB. 505/68/6 Dtd. 20.05.1963. He was later promoted to Associate Professor and in-charge of the Plastic Surgery unit and remained so till his retirement on April 1992.
Dr. Ambica Prasad MS, who was working as a resident surgeon since 19.05.1972 was promoted to Assistant Professor in 18.02.1984 and was transferred to Guwahati Medical College on 07.03.1987. Subsequently two posts, one Assistant Professor and one Registrar was a added to the unit (vide HLB 527/87/9 Dtd 23.11.1987). Dr. Ambica Prasad MS, was posted as Professor of Plastic Surgery, Assam Medical College and took the charge from Dr. Bimal Kr. Ghosh, Associated Professor, on 07.08.1993 vide HLB/150/93/Pt.1/97. This small unit has grown to a full-fledged Department with a creation of post of Professor Plastic Surgery along with another post of Registrar (HLB. 352/91.05 Dtd 05.02.1992).
Dr. Mukul Chandra Sarmah MS, MCh, join the Department of Plastic Surgery on 11.09.1979 in a newly created post of Registrar (created vide HLB 379/79/28 Dtd 18.08.79). He was promoted to Assistant Professor on 18.06.1987 and Associate Professor on 18.05.1992. He was again promoted to Professor of Plastic Surgery on .03.05.1995 and headed the Department till his retirement on 31.01.2020.
Dr. Bhupendra Kumar Deka MS, MCh, Registrar of Surgery (Casualty) was appointed as Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery on 25.11.1987 in a newly created post (vid HLB 527/87/09 Dtd 23.11.87). He was promoted to Associate Professor and transferred to Guwahati Medical College on 07.08.1993 where he retired as Professor and Head of the Department on 01.03.2009 .
Dr. (Mrs) Seema Rekha Devi MS, MCh, joined the unit on 01.05.1987 and was promoted to Assistant Professor on 18.05.1992. She was transferred to Guwahati Medical College on 22.08.1995, where she retired as the Professor and Head of the Department on 30.06.2020.
Dr. Debabrat Changkakati MS, MCh, joined the Department of Plastic Surgery Guwahati Medical College on 16.08.1986 and was transferred as Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery Assam Medical College on 22.08.1995. Dr. Debabrat Changkakati was resigned and move to UAE in the year of 2000.
Dr. Utpal Kumar Bordoloi MS, Mch, joined the Department of Plastic Surgery, Assam Medical College on 21.09.1989 and was promoted to Assistant Professor on 07.06.1998, Associated Professor on 09.01.2008 and Professor and Head on 18.12.2020.
Dr. Partha Sarthi Barooah MS, MCh, joined the Department of Plastic Surgery, Assam Medical College on 14.02.1996, promoted to Assistant Professor on 09.09.2010 and Associated Professor on 18.12.2020.
Dr. Parthapratim Dutta MS, MCh, joined the Department on 12.05.1998 and was promoted to Assistant Professor on 21.12.2013.
Dr. Prabal Goswami MS, MCh, joined the Department on 12.02.1996 as Registrar of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. (Mrs) Ajanta Hazarika MS, MCh, joined the Department on 05.03.2001 and Resident Surgeon of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Dhurbajyoti Deka MS, MCh, joined the Department of Plastic Surgery, Assam Medical College on 14.11.2013 as Registrar and was promoted to Assistant Professor on 13.05.2022.
From its establishment as an unit under Surgery in 1963 to the present time, Plastic Surgery Department has come a long way in the service of the people of Northeast India. Besides treating burn patients and post burn sequelae, the department also deals with many other congenital and acquired anomalies like cleft lip and palate, rare facial clefts, congenital anomalies of hands, feet, ears, face, genital organs, faciomaxilly injuries, oral and head and neck cancer surgeries, tissue transfer procedures including complicated flap surgeries and microsurgery, hand surgery including tendon & nerve surgery, peripheral vacular malformations. As oral cancer is very common in this part of the country, surgery for oral cancer with reconstructions is commonly done in the Department.
The Plastic Surgery Department got NMC approval to start MCh course on 28th January 2022 vide memo no NMC/PG(SS)/Assm./01(5M.Ch)/2021-2022/007669-78 and at present, we are happy to announce that MCh training is being imparted in the department at present.
Department of Plastic Surgery Bed Capacity:
1. Burn including Paediatric Burn : 21
2. Plastic Surgery including Paediatric : 30
3. Post Operative Beds : 5
4. Burn Resuscitation Beds : 2
Last 5 years Major OT & Minor OT
Major OT : 540 Nos Minor OT : 538 Nos
Major OT : 361 Nos Minor OT : 313 Nos
Major OT : 393 Nos Minor OT : 289 Nos
Major OT : 211 Nos Minor OT : 160 Nos
Major OT : 271 Nos Minor OT : 209 Nos
1. Bilateral Tessier Cleft- 3, JEMDS, June 2014, vol:3, issue :25. page 6852-6855.
2. Tessier Cleft no. 7: Report of 12 cases. JEMDS, June 2014, vol:3, issue: 24, pages 6736-6739.
3. A Case Of Tessier Cleft –1 Presenting as isolated Coloboma Of Nose. Int J Sci Stud 2014; 2(5):131-132.
4. Transverse Facial Cleft: A report Of 5 Cases.74th Annual Conference Of ASI, Hyderabad. free paper presentation by PGT Dr.Anurag Agarwal.
5. Sphincter Preserving Reconstruction of Angle of the Mouth. JEMDS 2015; vol. 4, issue 41, page:7229-7231.DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2015/1048.
6. Parasitic Twin: A Case Report. Int. J. Sci Stud, 2015; 3(4): 190-191. July 2015/vol. 3/issue 4.
1. Lymphangiectasis of lower limb: A rare challenging case : Visweswar Bhattacharya, Biswajit Mishra, Partha Sarathi Barooah, Gaurab Ranjan Chaudhuri, and Siddhartha Bhattacharya, Indian J Plast Surg. 2009 Jul-Dec; 42(2): 248–250.doi: 10.4103/0970-0358.59292
2. Detail microscopic analysis of deep fascia of lower limb and its surgicalimplication: Bhattacharya V1, Barooah PS, Nag TC, Chaudhuri GR, Bhattacharya S. Indian J Plast Surg. 2010 Jul-Dec; 43(2): 135–140.doi: 10.4103/0970-0358.73424
3. Cadaveric study and clinical application of turnover fascial flap for lower-limb defects: Visweswar Bhattacharya, Partha Sarathi Barooah, Saurabh Rawat, Gaurab Ranjan Chaudhuri, Neeraj Kant Agrawal, Siddhartha Bhattacharya, Sunil Kumar Tripathi : Eur J Plastic Surgery (2011) 34:387–394 DOI 10.1007/s00238-010-0540-3 24 May 2010 / Accepted: 16 November 2010 / Published online: 18 December 2010
4. Recontructive Modalities of Non-healing wounds of Lower Limb: Visweswar Bhattacharya, Partha S Barooah : Principles and practice of wound care Edition – 2011 Ed: Sujota Sorobahi, V.K.Tiwari, Publ. Jaypee (P.352-363) (Book Article).
5. Turn over split fascial flap- a refinement for resurfacing shin defect: Visweswar Bhattacharya, Neeraj K Agrawal, Gaurab R Chaudhuri, Partha S Barooah, Tripathi SK,Rana Birendra, Siddhartha Bhattacharya and Dhurva J Deka. Int J Burn Trauma. 2012; 2(2): 86-92. Published online 2012Sep 15. PMCID:PMC3462525
6. Management of Intra Orbital Foreign Body- A Hospital Based Study: Partha Sarathi Barooah1, Nabajyoti Saikia2, Arup Deori3, Abhijit Handique4, Dhrubajyoti Deka5, Pradip Kumar Tiwari6:International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research Volume 4 | Issue 7 |
July 2017 | ICV (2015): 77.83.
7. Vascular basis of Retrograde Fasciocutaneous Flap based on Lower Two Posterior Tibial Artery Perforators. Partha Sarathi Barooah1, Anup Tanti 2, Jyotirmayee Lahon 3, Dhrubajyoti Deka 4, Ajanta Hazarika 5, Pradip Kumar Tiwari 6. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research ISSN (Online):2393- 915X; (Print): 2454-7379 | ICV: 77.83 | Volume 4 | Issue 9 | September 2017
1. Epidemiology of paediatric burn in a tertiary care hospital of in a Northeastern state of India: Dr Jolly Rabha, Dr Parthapratim Dutta Received On Apr 06 2021. Accepted On Apr 16 2021. Article Reference Number : IJTEP_13119_2021
2. Submental intubation: A solution for anesthetic dilemma in midand panfacial fractures Dhrubajyoti Deka1, Vaibhav Jain2, Parthapratim Dutta1, Prabal Goswami1, Pradeep Jain3 : J Med Soc [serial online] 2015 [cited 2015 Aug 11];29:23-5. Year : 2015 | Volume : 29 | Issue : 1 | Page : 23-25
3. Labial Frenular Sign: A new clinical sign in Temporomandibular Joint Ankylosis : Parthapratim Dutta1, Pradeep Jain2, J Med Soc [serial online] 2015 [cited 2015 Aug accepted for publication.
4. Management of Neglected Achilles Tendon Division: Assessment of Two Novel and Innovative Techniques : Pradeep Jain,1 Parthapratim Dutta,2 Prabal Goswami,2 Amol Patel,1 Shammi Purwar,1 and Vaibhav Jain3 : Advances in Orthopedic Surgery, Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 729397, 6 pages
5. Evaluation of fixation of fracture mandible. Prof. M.C Sarmah, Dr. Parthapratim Dutta (Corresponding author) Asian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2008 Vol 20 Issue 4 Pg: Also presented as oral paper in the 8th Asian Congress on oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2008, Bangkok, Thailand. Nov 4-7, 2008.
6. Abdominal Flaps for soft tissue cover in crush injuries of the Hand Prof. S Lahkar, Dr Parthapratim Dutta (Corresponding author) Journal of Hand Surgery 2002 Vol. 7 issue 2. Also presented as oral paper in the 26th Annual Conference Indian society for Surgery of the Hand 2002, Pune India 22-24 Nov 2002
7. Great toe transplantation : an achievement in Microvascular surgery: Prof. MC Sarmah, Dr, Parthapratim Dutta (Corresponding author) Journal of Hand Surgery 2002 Vol. 7 issue 2. also presented as oral paper in the 26th Annual conference Indian society for Surgery of the Hand 2002, Pune India 22-24 Nov 2002
Chaired two sessions at the National Academy of Burns India Conference
(NABICON 2015) held at Ludhiana from 20th to 22nd Feb 2015.
Elected as Executive Member 2014-17 of the National Academy of Burns,
1.Submental intubation: A solution for anesthetic dilemma in mid- and panfacial fractures : Dhrubajyoti Deka1, Vaibhav Jain2, Parthapratim Dutta1, Prabal Goswami1, Pradeep Jain3 : J Med Soc [serial online] 2015 [cited 2015 Aug 11];29:23-5.Year : 2015 | Volume : 29 | Issue : 1 | Page : 23-25
2. Management of Neglected Achilles Tendon Division: Assessment of Two Novel and Innovative Techniques : Pradeep Jain,1 Parthapratim Dutta,2 Prabal Goswami,2 Amol Patel,1 Shammi Purwar,1 and Vaibhav Jain3, Advances in Orthopedic Surgery, Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 729397, 6 pages
1.Submental intubation: A solution for anesthetic dilemma in mid- and panfacial fractures; Dhrubajyoti Deka1, Vaibhav Jain2, Parthapratim Dutta1, Prabal Goswami1, Pradeep Jain3, J Med Soc [serial online] 2015 [cited 2015 Aug 11];29:23-5. Year : 2015 | Volume : 29 | Issue : 1 | Page : 23-255
2. Odontogenic fibroma of Mandible and its Management: A Rare Case report. Dr. Gurukeerthi. B, Dr. D. Sarma, Dr. Dhrubajyoti Deka
IOSR-JDMS, 2016; 15(5) 42-46, ICID: 1203026
3. CASE REPORT Management Of Locally Advanced Oral Carcinoma With Mandibular Reconstruction: A Case Report And Review Of Literature
Pradip Kumar Tiwari1 , Nabajyoti Saikia2 , Anjana Hazarika3 , Dhrubajyoti Deka4 : INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CONTEMPORARY MEDICAL RESEARCH, Volume 2 | Issue 2| Pg 365-68
4. Turn over split fascial flap - a refinement for resurfacing shin defect Visweswar Bhattacharya1, Neeraj K Agrawal2, Gaurab R Chaudhuri3, Partha S Barooah4, Tripathi SK5, Rana Birendra6, Siddhartha Bhattacharya7, Dhruva J Deka8 Received May 5, 2012; accepted August 7, 2012; Epub September 15, 2012; Published September 30, 2012 Int J Burn Trauma 2012;2(2):86-92